EU Broadcasting Directive
/05: Directive on copyright and online transmissions of broadcasting organisations and retransmissions of television and radio programmes – EAO Newsletter
The stated purpose of the Directive under the new Article 1 is to lay down rules to enhance cross-border access to a greater number of television and radio programmes by facilitating the clearance of rights for the provision of online services that are ancillary to the broadcast of certain types of television and radio programmes and for the retransmission of television and radio programmes.
/05: Court prohibits arbitrary changes to pay-TV programme package – EAO Newsletter
In a recently published judgment of 17 January 2019 (Case no. 12 O 1982/2018), the Landgericht München (Munich district court) decided that customers were unreasonably disadvantaged by a unilateral, groundless change to programme packages sold by pay-TV provider Sky Deutschland.
03/05: European Elections 2019 Campaign Tracker – European Parliament
To help media keep track of the European election campaigns, the EP Press service provides a daily newsfeed on country-specific electoral facts, events and debates in all member states.
02/05: European elections: unprecedented viewing figures for Parliament’s campaign film – European Parliament
With over 75 million views in a week, the film "Choose Your Future", part of an EP awareness campaign based on the feeling of togetherness, has had an exceptional impact.
18 May: European Audiovisual Observatory event, Cannes Film Festival
18 May: Creative Europe MEDIA, Cannes Film Festival:
– “European Authors’ Remuneration – Where do We Stand?” Panel discussion (10 am)
– EAO presentation on the newly launched online platform LUMIERE VOD (5 pm)
19 May: Europa Cinemas conference, Cannes Film Festival
19 May: CNC, Cannes Film Festival
– The CNC Rendezvous (11.30 am)
– SACD-CNC round-table: What does the future hold for cinema in a world dominated by platforms? (3.30 pm)
20 May: Creative Europe MEDIA, Cannes Film Festival:
– “Copyright Conundrum”: Chat with Giuseppe Abbamonte, Director Media Policy, EC (10 am)
– "Audiovisual Markets: Trends & Investments”: Panel discussion (11.15 am)
– “A Europe of Talents – Empowering Creativity” European Film Forum (3 pm)
21 May: Creative Europe MEDIA, Cannes Film Festival
– Presentation by NutAlone, digital platform for European indie films (10 am)
– CannesXR (5 pm)
22-23 May: Council of the EU - Education, Youth, Culture & Sports Council
23-26 May: EU Elections 2019
7 June: European Film Forum
12-13 June: International Forum on IP Enforcement, Paris
17-20 June: CineEurope 2019, Barcelona
19-20 June: Conference on New Challenges regarding Copyright in the Digital Single Market, Bucharest
1 November: Deadline for appointment of new European Commission