Polish films & talents in Berlin 2019 - Meet us at Polish Cinema Stand Gropius Bau #162
POLISH FILMS AT BERLINALE
Mr. Jones (Poland, United Kingdom, Ukraine 2019, 135’, Drama) Competition
• directed by: Agnieszka Holland• cast: James Norton, Vanessa Kirby, Peter Sarsgaard, Joseph Mawle, Kenneth Cranham, Celyn Jones, Krzysztof Pieczynski, Fenella Woolgar• produced&co-produced by: Film Produkcja, Parkhurst• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute, Ukrainian State Film Agency• world sales: WestEnd Films
Based on real events, “Mr. Jones” chronicles a Welsh investigative journalist as he travels deep into the Soviet Union in the winter of 1933 to uncover an international conspiracy. His life-or-death journey inspires George Orwell’s Animal Farm.
public screenings:Sunday, Feb 10, 22:00Berlinale PalastMonday, Feb 11, 15:00Friedrichstadt-PalastMonday, Feb 11, 21:00Friedrichstadt-PalastThursday, Feb 14, 12:00Haus der Berliner FestspieleSunday, Feb 17, 21:00Haus der Berliner Festspiele
Story (Poland 2019, 5’, Animation) Generation 14plus
• directed by: Jola Bańkowska• produced by: Munk Studio – Polish Filmmakers’ Association, Letko• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: New Europe Film Sales “Story” is a reflection about modern man in an age of omnipresent technology. Looking through stories - a popular function in many social media platforms - we see people who are lonely, lost or already indifferent about reality surrounding them. Action takes place during one day and it's told by short, often (auto)ironic scenes, where virtual world sinks to reality.
public screenings:Sunday, Feb 10, 15:30CinemaxX 3Wednesday, Feb 13, 10:00CinemaxX 3Friday, Feb 15, 11:00CinemaxX 1Saturday, Feb 16, 15:00CinemaxX 3
Who Will Write Our History / Kto napisze naszą historię (USA, Poland 2018, 95', Feature documentary) Special Screening
• directed by: Roberta Grossman• cast: Piotr Głowacki, Jowita Budnik,Piotr Jankowski, Wojciech Zieliński, Karolina Gruszka, Bartłomiej Kotschedoff• produced&co-produced by: Katahdin Productions, Match&Spark• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute, EC1 Łódź - The City of Culture, Mazovia Institute of Culture, Mazovia Warsaw Film Fund 7• world sales: Cinephil Resistance comes in many forms. A clandestine group of journalists, scholars, and community leaders in the Warsaw Ghetto defied the Nazis with the ultimate weapon – the truth – and risked everything so that their archive would survive the war, even if they did not. Now, for the first time, their story is told in the documentary featuring the voices of three-time Academy Award® nominee Joan Allen and Academy Award® winner Adrien Brody.
public screenings:Sunday, Feb 10, 22:30International
EUROPEAN SHOOTING STAR 2019
BERLINALE CO-PRODUCTION MARKETStillborn / Stale niestałaRotterdam-Berlinale ExpressPoland
• directed by: Olga Chajdas• produced by: Apple Film Production
The PropertyIsrael, Poland
• directed by: Dana Modan• produced by: July August Production, Extreme Emotions
PRESENTATIONPolish 30% Cash Rebate
Poland is introducing a 30% cash rebate on film production. Feature films, animation, documentaries & series will be eligible for the reimbursement. Please join us to find out everything you need to know about filming in Poland, from incentives, locations, studio space, post production to crew and talent. Sunday, 10th February, 10:30 am – 11:30 amFestsaal, Berlin House of RepresentativesNiederkirchnerstraße 5, Berlin
POLISH FILMS AT EFM
303 Squadron / Dywizjon 303 (Poland 2018, 104’)Action / Drama / Martial Arts• directed by: Denis Delić• cast: Piotr Adamczyk, Maciej Zakościelny, John Kay Steel, Cara Theobold• produced by: Film Media• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: Film Media The untold story of the pilots who came to England to join the fight in the air in the WWII Battle of Britain in 1940. The 303 Squadron became the most efficient fighter pilots unit then, and that is how its legend was born.
market screenings:Sunday, Feb 10, 18:00CinemaxX 15
The Butler / Kamerdyner (Poland 2018, 150’, Drama)• directed by: Filip Bajon• cast: Janusz Gajos, Sebastian Fabijański,Marianna Zydek, Anna Radwan• produced by: Filmicon• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: TVP S.A. A complicated history of three nations living in the northern region of Poland, forms the background of the main story of a tragic love of a German aristocrat to a Polish butler in a perspective over the period of 25 years.
market screenings:Sunday, Feb 10, 16:15 Gropius BauCinemaTuesday, Feb 12, 14:10Arsenal Cinema 2
Dolce Fine Giornata / Słodki koniec dnia (Poland 2018, 100’, Drama)Sundance at EFM
• directed by: Jacek Borcuch• cast: Krystyna Janda, Katarzyna Smutniak, Antonio Catania• produced by: No Sugar Films• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: Films Boutique Maria Linde, a Jewish Nobel Prize winner lives a quiet and comfortable life in Tuscany. Her stable family begins to erode as her relationship with a young immigrant develops against a backdrop of terrorism and eroding democracy.
market screenings:Saturday, Feb 9, 13:10CineStar 4Monday, Feb 11, 15:15CineStar 6
Forever a Pilot of the Spitfire & 303 Squadron (USA, Poland, UK 2019, 94’)Action / Documentary / Drama / Fantasy / Martial Arts
• directed by: Sławomir Ciok• produced by: Blue Horizon Films LLC• world sales: Blue Horizon Films Full of humor, a story of a forgotten hero of WWII - the RAF pilot of a Spitfire. As a member of the famous 303 Squadron he is telling the great stories from the past, coming back to the time, which was both: tragic and great.
market screenings:Friday, Feb 8, 16:00Parliament Studio
Jacob, Mimmi and the Talking Dogs / Jekabs, Mimmi un runyjoie sni (Latvia, Poland 2018, 70’)Animation / Children's film
• directed by: Edmunds Jansons• produced by: Arom Art• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: New Europe Film Sales Jacob has to spend a week with his bossy cousin Mimmi in the suburbs. They find out a local park is gonna be turned into skyscrapers by a greedy businessman. Jacob and Mimmi decide to stop him with help of a pack of talking dogs.
market screenings:Saturday, Feb 9, 15:10CinemaxX 19Monday, Feb 11, 14:25Parliament Studio
The Mute / Krew boga (Poland, Belgium 2018, 112', Drama)
• directed by: Bartosz Konopka• produced by: Otter Films• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: Reel Suspects In the early Middle Ages, two Christian knights (an elder one, Willibrord, anda novice, Nameless) set off to christen a small pagan village hidden deep in the mountains. Despite the differences in their views.
market screenings:Thursday, Feb 7, 14:50CinemaxX 15Monday, Feb 11, 14:25CinemaxX 19
Werewolf / Wilkołak (Poland, Germany, the Netherlands 2018, 90’)Drama / Thriller / Horror
• directed by: Adrian Panek• produced by: Balapolis• co-financed by: the Polish Film Institute• world sales: Media Move, Eyewell Eight children liberated from concentration camp seem to have found peace in a provisional orphanage. The nightmare returns when bloodthirsty wolfhounds start circling in surrounding forest.
market screenings:Saturday, Feb 9, 14:20Marriott Studio
WARSAW FILM SCHOOL COMPILATION "GOOD SHORTS ARE HERE"
Warsaw Film School proudly presents their brand new collection of powerful and visually compelling short film fictions and docs available for WP's, Distribution and Sales. • world sales: Media Move, Eyewell
market screenings:Wednesday, Feb 13, 15:45CinemaxX 11